Why Your Company Should Virtualize
Virtualizing your IT infrastructure lets you reduce IT costs while increasing the efficiency, utilization, and flexibility of your existing assets. Around the world, companies of every size benefit from VMware virtualization. Thousands of organizations—including all of the Fortune 100—use VMware virtualization solutions. See how building a virtual datacenter will benefit your organization.
Top 5 Reasons to Adopt Virtualization Software
1. Get more out of your existing resources: Pool common infrastructure resources and break the legacy “one application to one server” model with server consolidation.
2. Reduce datacenter costs by reducing your physical infrastructure and improving your server to admin ratio: Fewer servers and related IT hardware means reduced real estate and reduced power and cooling requirements. Better management tools let you improve your server to admin ratio so personnel requirements are reduced as well.
3. Increase availability of hardware and applications for improved business continuity: Securely backup and migrate entire virtual environments with no interruption in service. Eliminate planned downtime and recover immediately from unplanned issues.
4. Gain operational flexibility: Respond to market changes with dynamic resource management, faster server provisioning and improved desktop and application deployment.
5. Improve desktop manageability and security: Deploy, manage and monitor secure desktop environments that users can access locally or remotely, with or without a network connection, on almost any standard desktop, laptop or tablet PC.
Transform your Business with Virtualization
Virtualization dramatically improves the efficiency and availability of resources and applications in your organization. Internal resources are underutilized under the old “one server, one application” model and IT admins spend too much time managing servers rather than innovating. An automated datacenter, built on a VMware virtualization platform, lets you respond to market dynamics faster and more efficiently than ever before. VMware Infrastructure delivers resources, applications—even servers—when and where they’re needed. VMware customers typically save 50-70% on overall IT costs by consolidating their resource pools and delivering highly available machines with VMware Infrastructure.
- Run multiple operating systems on a single computer including Windows, Linux and more.
- Let your Mac run Windows creating a virtual PC environment for all your Windows applications.
- Reduce capital costs by increasing energy efficiency and requiring less hardware and increasing your server to admin ratio
- Ensure your enterprise applications perform with the highest availability and performance
- Build up business continuity through improved disaster recovery solutions and deliver high availability throughout the datacenter
- Improve enterprise desktop management & control with faster deployment of desktops and fewer support calls due to application conflicts
1. Assess your virtual environment readiness
You can't optimize what you cannot measure. A detailed assessment is required before full project commitment to understand your current capabilities, help justify current as well as future investments, and provide a baseline measurement that can be tracked and reviewed.
2. Investigate shared/unified storage to improve flexibility
A well-architected shared storage environment can help IT groups enable the advanced features of virtualized server environments without adding the overhead of additional management.
3. Revisit data backup and recovery plans
Virtualization means relying on fewer physical systems to process more tasks. Consolidating on fewer machines without redesigning data protection will lead to performance issues, impede recovery and limit overall project success. CIOs should carefully consider the best choice in data protection for their organization's specific needs, to minimize the impact of events such as data, system, or site failure and ensure information is properly protected.
4. Consider thin provisioning
Server virtualization enables the rapid provisioning of applications and administrators should consider thin provisioning for their environments to reclaim unused storage, improve storage efficiency and enable faster time to market.
5. Dig into data de-duplication to maximize efficiency
By its very nature, virtualization tends to have a lot of duplicate data such as the same operating system and application software. De-duplication technologies allow an organization to use and manage less storage while still reaping the benefits of virtualization.
Download VMware ESXi free is VMware next-generation hypervisor that allows you to deploy virtual machines in your physical servers.
ESXi live demo shows how it works and gives an excellent overview
VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3 live demo summary of features and benefits of VMware Virtual infrastructure 3.
VMware View 3; Take Control of Your Desktops!